Hello from the Jersey Shore!
I’m Jennifer Mary G–a writer, mother, and science teacher. For many years, I wrote textbook and digital content for education publishers. My creative writing only went on behind the scenes. Not too long ago, I decided to change all of that and follow my heart. As a result, I recently completed Stanford University’s online certificate program in novel writing and discovered the support of an amazing writing cohort. My first YA novel (unpublished), which I wrote for the Stanford program, was selected as a finalist for RWA’s 2016 Daphne du Maurier Award in Excellence for Mystery & Suspense.
I also LOVE and write picture books–fiction and nonfiction. Advice from a SCBWI workshop led me to an incredible PB critique group full of amazingly talented, fun, kind, and super-inspiring friends!
KidLit is always at the top of my reading list and I happily stockpile titles to share with my children, students, and friends. This blog has helped me make connections with many other writers in the KidLit community and I continue to learn so much. My favorite feature is the Author Q & A–authors are such interesting and generous people!
Besides reading and writing, I enjoy camping, exploring the outdoors, and spending time with my family. The science nerd in me loves StarTalk with Neil deGrasse Tyson, TED Talks, and NPR’s Science Friday.
Random Facts about Me
1) Libraries and bookstores are my favorite places to relax, dream, and learn.
2) I’m a proud supporter of the LGBTQ community.
3) We need diverse books, because all kids should be able to locate themselves within stories.
4) The Big Bang Theory always makes me laugh.
5) I’m a self-confessed nature nerd. Over the years, I’ve studied butterflies in Ecuador, tagged sea turtles in Barbados, uncovered fossils in Newfoundland, and hiked/kayaked throughout Southeastern Alaska while studying glaciers, wildlife, and fisheries.
6) Josh Gates (currently on Travel Channel’s Expedition Unknown and formerly on SyFy’s Destination Truth) has my ultimate dream job (besides writing, that is!)
7) I love New York City and dream of living there someday—walking to restaurants, museums, bookstores, theaters, parks. (Does this totally contradict my identity as a nature nerd?)
8) In the summer, my family can often be found traveling with our pop-up camper and lots of books.
9) I LOVE a good ghost story!