Hello from the Jersey Shore!
I’m Jennifer Mary Grolemund, a writer, mother, and science teacher. For many years, I wrote textbook and digital content for education publishers. My creative writing only went on behind the scenes. Not too long ago, I decided to change all of that and follow my heart.
As a result, I completed Stanford University’s certificate program in novel writing and discovered the support of an amazing writing cohort. My first novel (YA unpublished), which I wrote for the Stanford program, was selected as a finalist for RWA’s 2016 Daphne du Maurier Award in Excellence for Mystery & Suspense. I am currently working on my second novel, a spooky middle grade story.
I also LOVE and write picture books–both fiction and non-fiction. My non-fiction focuses on science and conservation topics, including the amazing people out there doing biological field work.
I’m a member of SCBWI, Women Who Write, and 12 x 12 and I was selected as a mentee for the Rutgers University Council on Children’s Literature (RUCCL) in 2018, 2019, and 2021. Advice from a SCBWI workshop helped me connect with two critique groups full of talented, fun, kind, and super-inspiring writer friends 🙂
KidLit is always at the top of my reading list and I happily stockpile titles to share with my children, students, and friends. This blog has helped me make connections with many other writers in the KidLit community and I continue to learn so much. My favorite feature is the Author Q & A–authors are such interesting and generous people!
Besides reading and writing, I enjoy camping, exploring the outdoors, and spending time with my family. The science nerd in me loves StarTalk with Neil deGrasse Tyson, TED Talks, and NPR’s Science Friday.
Random Facts about Me
1) Over the years, I’ve studied butterflies in Ecuador, tagged sea turtles in Barbados, uncovered fossils in Newfoundland, and hiked/kayaked throughout Southeastern Alaska while studying glaciers, wildlife, and fisheries.
2) I love exploring New York City–restaurants, museums, bookstores, shops, parks, etc.
3) In the summer, my family can often be found traveling with our pop-up camper and lots of books.
4) I LOVE a good ghost story!
5) The Big Bang Theory always makes me laugh.
Thank you for visiting my blog!
If you love and/or write kidlit too, leave a comment and share some of your favorites 🙂